We have recently made little but very significant progress toward the translation of Ubuntu in Urdu. When I joined the Ubuntu community, we already had Ubuntu Pakistani Team and Ubuntu Urdu Translators team. Both had a few members, bad Wiki pages and no community leaders at all. Following the guidelines provided by Ubuntu I stepped into the role of community leader and made the following changes:
- Improved the wiki pages for Ubuntu Urdu Translators and Pakistani teams.
- Persuaded the Canonical and got a mailing list for Ubuntu Urdu translators.
- Encouraged the teams to actively take part in the translation efforts.
- Discussed the collabration with Gnome Urdu Translation group.
- Encouraged the team to adopt a goal oriented strategy.
Currently I am involved in the translation of some templates on Ubuntu. I will be spending more time on developing a small software to assist Urdu Translators everywhere to find out the translations of most commonly used terms and phrases and add new translations. This project will provide a web interface to search for an English term and provide its translation in Urdu. It is not a dictionary but a word bank where any one can deposit, change, improve and look up for translations. With this project in action, I am hoping to see great improvements in the quality and progress of open source software translations in Urdu. Every one is invited to join the team or start translating templates without joining the team. Below are some links that would help new contributors get started: